Well, America, the wait is over. THE AVENGERS finally hits theaters today. This means that it is officially opening day of what I like to call “Man-buster Summer”. Move over HUNGER GAMES and THINK LIKE A MAN! Your recent reign at the box office is over. I’ve already bought my AVENGERS ticket. How about you?
Marvel Mania has taken over the globe and can only be cured with more testosterone-filled multi-million dollar blockbuster films. I’m not even exaggerating. Remember, studios are always going for the under 25 male demo (refresher course here). Mark your calendars now because the months of May, June, July and August are bursting to the seams with male-protagonist driven films.
Of course, there are indies and romcoms thrown in the mix to attract the ladies (wildcards like THE HELP in 2011 and EAT PRAY LOVE in 2010), but their trailers aren’t exactly drooled over at ComicCon. The 2012 edition of “Man-buster Summer” will feature:
- BATTLESHIP – May 18th
- MEN IN BLACK III – May 25th
- PROMETHEUS – June 8th
- ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER – June 22nd
- G.I. JOE: RETALIATION – June 29th
- THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN – July 6th
- TED – July 13th (* not an action film but absolutely fits the under 25 male demo)
- THE DARK KNIGHT RISES -July 20th
- TOTAL RECALL – August 3rd
- THE BOURNE LEGACY – August 3rd
Overall, we’re going to be dominated by reboots/sequels, gameboard adaptations, vampire flicks, manchild comedies and alien thrillers. Yay? Luckily, there will also be a few industry alternatives for the entire audience quadrant (especially the overlooked over 25 females):
- DARK SHADOWS – May 11th
- MOONRISE KINGDOM – May 25th in limited release
- SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN – June 1st
- BRAVE – June 22nd
Personally, I’ve already begun my countdown to “OSCAR-BAITING” season, coming to a theater near you this fall/winter.
*** CORRECTION: BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD – June 27th in limited release (how could I forget this one?)