Vote For FOCUS FORWARD Semifinalists In Socially Conscious Film Competition
The US Presidential election may have come, but everyday indies are running their own campaigns for personal projects. Three of my film friends are Audience Favorites semifinalists in the same short documentary contest. Check out their films and many others HERE. Voting ends December 20th.
Sean says: “The House I Live In” is important, but frustrating. Have you seen the documentary attempting to dissect the war on drugs?
FESTIVALS AND COMPETITIONS
- In Case You Missed It: Fests You Should Enter This Week (Turkey Day Super-Edition)
- Pitch your best TV show idea in ATX Television Festival by Jan. 18th.
- Have Your Script Read Live At Sundance 2013 in “Table Read My Screenplay” Contest. Final deadline in December 1st.
QUEUE IT UP
- Meet Ai Weiwei: talented Chinese multi-media artist by day, the most dangerous man on Twitter by night. The award-winning documentary “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry” is now available on iTunes and Amazon DVD pre-order (available 12/4). My review HERE.
- Remember that time Will Ferrell made a Mexican telenovela film completely in Spanish? “Casa de mi Padre” is now streaming on Netflix. My review HERE .
- I missed Canadian director Sara Polley’s compelling documentary “Stories We Tell” at Telluride, but we can all catch her latest fiction drama, “Take This Waltz”. Now on Netflix Instant and AmazonPrime and starring Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen and Sarah Silverman.
- Sure to move you to your core, the award-winning documentary “The Invisible War” is now on iTunes, Netflix and Amazon. The powerful film investigates the epidemic of rape in the US military.
CALL FOR INDIES (Filmmaker Opportunities)
- Wanna volunteer for SXSW 2013? Registration is now open.
- Are you a female filmmaker w/ an idea for a short film? Apply for a free February workshop at Athena Film Festival by 12/15.
- Did you know that most of the WGA top 101 scripts are available online? Happy reading!
- The latest from Shadow and Act: Tips on how to make your NYC films look fresh (for less) from Cybel Martin, a very insightful DP and native New Yorker.
- Unrepped writer signs with agency after posting script on the Black List 3.0 website. What are you waiting for?
- “Scorsese Editor Thelma Schoonmaker Explains Why Old Movies May Never Look (or Sound) the Same Again” from the great folks at IndieWIRED. Interesting thoughts on trend of converting film prints to digital: “Are we happy with what we’ve got or should we pay more to get closer to what the artists intended?”