SAG Nominees: Duh’s, Snubs and WTF’s
The Screen Actors Guild announced their 2012 nominees this week. There were definitely some surprises, according to Sean. Where you happy with the actors/films recognized by the Hollywood Foreign Press?
Vote For FOCUS FORWARD Semifinalists In Socially Conscious Film Competit
The US Presidential election may have come, but everyday indies are running their own campaigns for personal projects. Three of my film friends are Audience Favorites semifinalists in the same short documentary contest. Check out their films and many others HERE.. Voting ends December 20th.
FESTIVALS, LABS & COMPETITIONS
- South Arts’ Southern Circuit is providing filmmakers with the paid opportunity to participate in a six-venue tour of the Southeastern United States to screen their films for new audiences. Submit feature-length work by January 10th.
- Pitch your best TV show idea in ATX Television Festival by Jan. 18th.
- Hey UK-based indies: Sundance London is hosting a short film contest. Submit your best entry based on the concept of “time” by Feb 28th!
QUEUE IT UP
- Sean called it “the scariest film of the year” back in January and now you can judge for yourself. “Martha Marcy May Marlene” (or as the cool kids say “MMMM”) is now on Netflix Instant.
- Kickstarter-funded? 2012 SXSW selection? Features Girl Talk music? Stop whatever you’re doing and check out the full dance film “Girl Walk // All Day” online today.
- It’s not secret how much I love “Beasts of the Southern Wild” since seeing it in Park City back earlier this year. Now the multiple award-winning story of a little Black girl named Hushpuppy living in a magical place called the Bathtub is available for pre-order on Amazon & Best-Buy. Official release date is 12/4.
CALL FOR INDIES (Filmmaker Opportunities)
- Full Frame Doc Fest (based in North Carolina) is looking for Spring Programming Interns. Apply by Dec. 21st.
- “American Promise” (which will premiere in the documentary competition at Sundance 2013) is seeking interns based in Brooklyn. Don’t miss out!
- Wanna volunteer for SXSW 2013? Registration is now open.
- Have any burning questions about the film distro disco? Film Independent has some answers for you!
- The Sundance magic continues! Congrats to filmmaker Terence Nance and the entire “An Oversimplification of Her Beauty” team on their new distribution deal with Cinema Guild.
- Finally a Japanese remake of an American movie! Clint Eastwood’s “Unforgiven” meets samurai.
- “…it’s important not to forget that what you’re protecting is a magic so precious.” Wise words from NYC-based cinematographer Cybel Martin and colleagues in her final Shadow and Act column of 2012.
- “#4. Crowdfunding sites are good opportunities for filmmakers to show their film does have an audience.” Check out 5 tips straight from the top festival programmers themselves about Kickstarter/IndieGoGo campaigns!
- “There is no more troubling statistic in the film and TV industry than the underemployment of persons of color, particularly in the area of feature screenwriting.” Congrats to the latest five WGAW Feature Access Project honorees up to the challenge of conquering the biz!