New “series” on Freelancing in the video world (via Zoe.D)


Hey IU fans! We’re starting a new “series” on freelancing in the video production world! Check it out and let us know if it’s something you’d like to see more of. And be sure to comment!

Zoe.D here. New to blogging for IU so I’m pretty excited! I’ve been asked to write on what it’s like being a freelance videographer in the California area. Keep in mind, I’m still pretty new to the business – I graduated not long ago having studied video production – and am still learning the ropes. This series documents some of the things I’ve learned along the way – and am certainly STILL learning. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to comment or share your own experiences with freelancing! Let’s dive in:

1. What is freelancing like?

If you enjoy climbing the Himalayas or sailing through a hurricane, you might enjoy freelancing.

Freelancing is tough. And it’s tough for a number of reasons.

-The hours and workload can be ridiculous (especially if you procrastinate).

-There are TONS of people already working in this field (60% of them are also better/more experienced than me).

– And most of your time WONT be spent on shooting. (This is probably the worst part about freelancing: I’d say, 60% of my time has been spent on self-promotion and entrepreneurial/networking stuff/HUSTLING and 40% actually working with the camera and shooting.)

Yes, I prefer bad news first. But these are some of the things that have kept me going as a freelancer:

–         I enjoy making my own schedule and having irregular hours (sometimes). Also, how productive and successful my day is becomes 90% up to me (the other 10% goes to murphy’s law). And it might sound overly existential but I enjoy that kind of responsibility.

–         I’m not a big-name freelancer rolling in a massive cash flow but I’m just getting started. And as things have progressed (I’ve gotten fairly consistent work from one of my clients, an indie music producer), I get more and more excited by the challenges and projects that are ahead.

–         Any goals I achieve, I feel good knowing that I did it and not by riding on someone else’s coattails.

–         I am stretched to my maximum potential in all aspects of my life, both creatively and non-creatively/practically.

All in all, freelancing is like a relationship; mine is just starting and I’m super excited. And I know it’s going to take a lot of work to keep that passion alive and flourishing. But for anyone who has ever felt the rush of seeing a film come together before his or her eyes, the BS that you have to put up with will be worth it. It’s a fleeting feeling, but I think we’re all subconsciously striving for that moment when we feel complete from doing something that just feels right.

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , ,

Comments...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: